Gone...North

Monday, July 24, 2006

Challenges

Friday's Challenge: Find a place to party.
Sounds easy enough right? Well when you've got about 20 people and all of their opinions it makes things a little more difficult. Deciding on Wreck beach we hauled ridiculous amounts of food and drink (thanks to Carine the French summer student) down the 438 steps - passing many peope who warned us of the police and imminent crashing of the party they would bring. Fearing persecution (beach closes at sundown, it was 8:30) we walked far along the beach, around the corner and out of sight. Broke into the salads, snacks and sweets and were just about to get into the swing of things when a few hippies came by- warning us to hide the drinks b/c the cops were coming. Sure enough a few minutes later I was looking directly into a maglight and putting $200 worth of food back into bags. Trudging up the stairs not 2 hours after going down them we formulated our back up plan. The rest of the night was spent in my frat house, playing cards, dancing, playing pool and generally carrying on. It was fun to let loose a bit with some co-workers.

After cleaning up after Friday's festivities, and a few hours of volleyball at the beach Saturday's challenge was upon me. This was a Centurion contest (100 beer shots, 100 minutes) About 50 people participated with about a 60% completion rate. 137 minutes after beginning I dropped out to the eventual winner (159 shots). Various chants, beer can pyramids, songs and dances passed the minutes between the drinks and good times were had by all.

Sunday was a volleyball tournament in the bright, hot sun of the UBC sandy courts. A few hours later we found our team in the championship game, losing out in the third set of the best 2 of 3 format round by 5 points. Slightly disappointing but eager to get some shade I headed back to the frat house.

About an hour later I headed out for what was promised to be the largest and best italian meal I'd ever had. Apparently many people knew of this gem so we put our names down and went to wait it out while touring the SFU campus at the top of Burnaby mountain. A nice view, a garden and an hour later we returned to the restaurant. I order Spinach Cheese-stuffed Tortellini and a Ceasar salad. The plate was bigger than my keyboard and had over 60 good-sized tortellini on it smothered in tomato sauce. The challenge: finish the meal. I didn't think I could make it at about the 1/2 way point. But with 20 to go I found my incentive. A free pen. So with my eyes on the prize I buckled down (actually loosened by belt buckle) and ate away. My friends may have helped by nabbing a bite here n there but I got through it and received my "I ate the WHOLE things at Anton's Pasta" pen. One of my motto's "I will not let a meal defeat me" was proved true last night.

Having completed each weekend challenge, tonight I hope to rest up before tomorrow's rockfest with the Stills, BSS and Sam Roberts. Tomorrow Deer Lake Park will be where all the good people have gone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home